December 11, 2010

My creative approach to a cover letter.

Dear Barnes & Noble,

I am not exactly sure who I should be addressing this to so I shall pretend I am speaking to the store. Well I visit you frequently for I have a compulsive love for books and words. I currently go to California College of the Arts for Writing and Literature so I plan to make words my life. I also have a strong desire to one day open a bookstore so working in one would put me on the right track.

This Barnes & Noble happens to be my favorite bookstore, because for one, it has everything I love: books, music, film, stationary, and coffee. Two, it’s walking distance from my house, and right next to BART. And since my CCA campus happens to be in Oakland BART happens to be my main mode of transportation so it would be convenient. And three, it’s in Tanforan, and I love the history behind Tanforan. (Did you know that it was Allen Ginsberg and Neal Cassady’s favorite racetrack?) I also love the feel that you get from being in this store (in you), because the atmosphere is so calm and somehow happy. Maybe it’s because the people who work here all happen to be so friendly. It makes me feel at home.

I am the sort of person that spends hours in bookstores discovering new books rigorously looking through books. It is astonishingly difficult for me to leave a bookstore empty handed. An odd thing about me is that every time I go to a bookstore and I see something out of order: I have to fix it. If a book is in the wrong category, placed next to the wrong author, or just left behind my some past costumer I have to return to its rightful place. If I don’t I feel like that book is being let down. See I really care for books. This enthusiasm and commitment to books makes me realize that a bookstore is where I should be. And I believe that your bookstore is perfect for me.

My resume and application are enclosed for your consideration. I hope to meet a manager soon and discuss this position with them in person at their convenience. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Erika Delgado

No comments:

Post a Comment